Monday, April 25, 2011

STONE WOMAN FROM ZIMBABWE


I enjoy the benefit of being surrounded by creative people.  My family, my friends and acquaintances make  me look forward to the surprising way they bring fun and interest to my life.
Saturday was an example of that.  A friend and I had planned to go to visit an art gallery where a photographer/artist was showing his work.  It had been a long day for both of us, but we still decided to go.  Once there, we were intrigued by the work and the artist.  His subjects were bands and entertainers performing at a local venue during the Eighties, before they had hit the big time.  We had seen  most of them in concert at one time or another but what made the photos special was the fact that they were all shot from the front row, giving them a very personal feel.
I did not buy a painting but did buy a stone sculpture of a woman.  On the ride home my friend was holding the statue and said she could imagine this woman saying:

look at me 
my life is rich, abundant, my life is fruitful
i sing, heart and soul
do you see what i see?
that life unfolds with goodness and gladness
and today i celebrate new life.

 My purchase seemed especially appropriate as that morning my first granddaughter was born. 






1 comment:

  1. Considering the title of this post, I will place a link to one of the best short stories I've ever read.

    A Stone Woman by A.S. Byatt

    You can read it here:

    http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2003/10/13/031013fi_fiction

    Also, congratulations on the new edition to your family!

    ReplyDelete